4 Tips for Photographing a "Pin-able" Look {Photography for Fashion Bloggers}

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

What to wear? is the most popular question asked of any portrait photographer.  But a popular question these days is also, "How do I photograph what I'm wearing?"  With fashion blogs on the rise, and ready Pinterest devotees (like me) getting wardrobe ideas online, fashion bloggers are wondering how to photograph themselves and their outfits in new, fresh, flattering, and of course "pin-able" ways.  (Did I just make up a word?)  

I have had the pleasure of working several times with the lovely ladies over at The Sisters in the City blog.  (Corbynn is my sister.)   This last collaboration, I decided to share some of the photography tips I've given them.  
1) Set the scene:  pull back shots are great to give flavor to the outfit you're highlighting.  Here, this perfectly adorable swimsuit was just dying to be photographed in a poolside resort.  (my backyard was serving as Corbynn's resort from the cold and snow of Chicago.) 
How to Photograph for Pinterest l Britain Earl Photography
 2) Get every angle:  Make sure you take shots of every angle to show off all the great details of your outfit.  This suit is made to be seen from behind!
How to Photograph for Pinterest l Britain Earl Photography
 3) Don't be shy:  If you're a fashion blogger, you definitely have to shirk off any self-consciousness you may feel.  No one is comfortable just walking around in their bathing suit, but again if there was ever a suit with a cute back, this is it!  
How to Photograph for Pinterest l Britain Earl Photography
 4) Details, details, details:  Of course you must highlight every detail of your outfit, but don't forget to add special little touches to make  your shoot pop.  Here, Corbynn and I decided this vintage coke was perfect, and note the sweet little polka dot straw!
How to Photograph for Pinterest l Britain Earl Photography
Don't forget to check out the full post over at www.thesistersinthecity.com.  And learn more about this cute suit from Albion Fit.  

4 comments:

  1. Love these tips! Crazy how much Pinterest defines what I do with my blog photoshoots these day! I agree with all of these and need to incorporate ALL of them more for sure, especially the styled detail shots!
    xx
    Here&Now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope one day my blog is to the point where I can pin pictures on Pinterest! Great tips!!

    -AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the feedback. Pinterest is a great tool to promote your blog, and to share tips and tricks across a whole variety of topics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! And I'm always asking my boyfriend (who takes my pictures) did you get a closet up of the earrings?! etc. etc. and I always remind him of Pinterest ;)

    ReplyDelete